The extensive garden was first planted out in the early 1850's and has been developed by the Deans family over the last 171 years.
The magnificent trees were planted very early and provide a frame for the sweeping lawns.
Many of the trees are registered in the local ordinances and are recorded in books of nationally and internationally significant trees.
The avenue of atlantic cedars up the driveway were planted in 1913.
In the 1920's and 30's James Deans planted over a thousand different species of rhododendrons under the trees in the style of Bodnant in Northern Wales - they make a spectacular show in spring.
The circular orchard is an interesting and rare feature of the garden. It was planted out in holly in the early 1850's as a sheltered vegetable garden and tree nursery. Now it has old roses and different varieties of fruit trees and bushes.